Thursday, May 26, 2011

Friday Quote (on Thursday)

You get your Friday quote a day early as I'm heading with my daughter to visit my brother and his family in Colorado for the Memorial day weekend. After reading the motto of the state and the explanation for the motto, I think I'm going to the right place. Have a great long weekend!


Colorado

the state motto of Colorado:

"Nothing without the Deity"
(Nil sine Numine)



The Latin phrase Nil sine Numine is commonly translated as "Nothing without Providence," but it was specifically stated in a government committee report that the original designers of the state seal (which includes the phrase Nil sine Numine) intended the translation to be "Nothing without the Deity."

Numine is Latin (meaning any divinity, god or goddess); God is a purely anglo-saxon word



No comments: