Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
- Community. I get to know other students and the teacher. Hello, who doesn't want more cool yoga friends?
- Beginner's Mind. Someone else tells me what to do and I can practice turning down my brain while practicing being Open and Receptive.
- Novelty. Every other teacher will offer information in a different way. Even given the same sequence of poses each teacher will teach it differently. That will spice things up.
- Feedback. The teacher will give me alignment feedback that I cannot give myself. How many times do I say: Really? I'm THAT off in that pose? Whoa!
- Discipline. It makes me do the poses that I tend to skip, because I'm not going to skip a pose when I'm in class, I'm going to do what the teacher asks. So going to class helps keep my practice balanced.
- Supporting the Local Economy (well if I'm in a studio) Most studios are locally owned and pay rent to local companies, they may even be the anchor for a larger shopping center. It feels good to give back
- Supporting a local teacher. I have a friend who's class I love. I WILL go and I WILL support her, she's just too awesome not to support.
- Shakti. Seriously. Shakti. John Friend videos move me and get my body open and work me on many levels... but they do not compare with the Shakti that can build in a group of people all doing the same thing at the same time.
- Encouragement and Inspiration. If I'm practicing next to a strong practitioner I'm inspired to rock a little bit more. Home alone, it's harder for me to turn up the juice. I'm working on doing it at home too, but in class there's a little more power to pull from.
- Savasana. It's so much easier to skimp on Savasana at home. I'll do it but I'm already thinking about my computer or my shower or my fridge or the clock. In class, none of those worries are able to be there and I can let the teacher hold the time for me. Let go and enjoy
Monday, November 14, 2011
Thursday, November 10, 2011
I found myself recently feeling a little hum-drum, run-of-the-mill, boring, underwhelming and not very special. It was bumming me out. Then a week or so ago I had my astrology chart read for the first time (and I know that may take me into the woo-woo category, but bear with me, it was a lot of fun). For the reading she took my birthdate, time, and location and then looked at the view of the stars for the exact time and location of my birth. Then she proceeded to tell me all about myself with incredible accuracy. She told me things I may have difficulty with and also what comes easy.. then she told me what my own special and unique gifts are, as written in the stars.
It was quite fun!
I realized afterwards that this experience reminded me and affirmed me as a unique Being on the planet. The remembrance of my own uniqueness made me feel so good!
The thing is, this yoga teaches us that we are all unique, we are all individuals with special gifts and ways of being in the world, that we are meant to share. It also makes space for the fact that we are human and we quite literally and often FORGET.
So we do the practice of yoga as a way to remember our own special uniqueness. You are a creation of Life, (the DIVINE), and you are the only YOU there will ever be.
During our practice we literally embrace ourselves and hug in with the quality of Muscular Energy in order to remember and honor all of our individual specialness as creations of the Divine. Self-honoring takes us deep into our hearts - the place where the Life Force pulses. When we connect there, our gifts grow and our inner light is expanded... the feeling from that? well, it’s delightful.
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Thursday, November 3, 2011
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
- If it is worth having, it is worth working for -- the effort is consistent and never ending
- Beauty, Humor, Play, Joy, and Creativity are infinitely important
- Intentions and Dreams are powerful especially when linked to your efforts
- Radical Acceptance is the only stance to take in life
- The universe knows much more than I ever can, Relax, All is coming
- I have a Voice and it is POWERFUL