Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

A few days ago I caught a re-run of Julia Roberts and Elizabeth Gilbert on Oprah talking about the movie version of Eat, Pray, Love. I loved the book and wasn't sure about seeing the movie, but it was interesting to hear both the actress and the writer talk about their reactions to the story.
One thing Liz Gilbert said was that she never quite realized what it was people were getting out of this book, it seemed so personal. The movie made it clear to her that at least part of the story is about getting over a broken heart, and that is something we've all experienced. I thought it interesting that it took visually seeing the story unfolded for her to come to that realization. Sometimes you have to step away from your work or your life to see the universality of your own personal experience.

But on this dreary (almost raining) Tuesday morning I thought I'd share my answer to Oprah's question to Juila and her dashing male co-stars:

"What is your Eat, What is your Pray, What is your Love?"

My Eat is the same as the book... give me fresh pasta or pizza in Rome and let me follow that up with some awesome Gelato and I am a VERY happy girl.

My Pray is pretty obvious too, also along the lines of the book ... stick me on a yoga mat or a meditation cushion, put me in a big bursting Anusara kula gathering and I will find a connection to something deeper. Also, being in nature helps me reconnect.

My Love is family. The family that I am a part of as a sister and a child and a grandchild and the family that I create with my husband and my daughter and our dog. Also the greater global family we can all build.



A little chocolate gelato love in Rome 2007

So what are your three.... your Eat? Pray? and Love?

No comments: