Saturday, August 28, 2010

Clearing the Clutter

Following up my last post... the thing about being a consumer is that then I end up with lots of random stuff. Stuff that, while at first pleasing, eventually comes to have no meaning to me whatsoever and just takes up more physical, spiritual, and emotional space in my life.
After my realization and shift out of consumer mode, I started the next shift into clearance mode. I've been wanting to go there for a while as I've transitioned away from the 9 - 5 (or 7 -6 as it often was) work life into mom and yoga teacher life. But making the transformation of my things is sometimes harder than even making the transformation of my life.
Yesterday I came upon about 30 or so minutes of freedom. That means, the babe was napping and I'd already practiced asana, meditation, and pranayama. I did not want to bum around on facebook but was at a loss as to what precisely to do that would feel good to my soul.
My eyes fell upon the book Ask and it is Given by Esther and Jerry Hicks. I opened it and came almost immediately to the Clearing Clutter for Clarity process. Reading over it I knew instantly it was just what I needed.
Their process is so simple. Just ask "Is this item important to my immediate experience?" That's it. If yes, leave it there, if no box it up. Clutter is cleared. There is more to the process after things go into boxes but I wasn't going full on yesterday. Instead I took out my backpack that was stuffed with papers, and a folder and simply asked that question. If yes, I re-filed in a a way that made sense. If no, it went directly into recycling.
What I love about the process is the absolute simplicity. It is quick and easy. Do I need this RIGHT NOW? and if not, let's make more space in my life for something different or just for more space.
They write: "Because everything carries its own vibration, and because you develop a vibrational relationship with everything in your life, your personal belongings do have an impact on the way you feel... "
"If you could just go through and release those things you are not wearing, release those things you are not using, release them and leave your experience in a clearer place, then the things that are more in harmony with who you are now will more easily flow into your experience."
Contemplation: Imagine yourself in a clutter-free life. Exhale and enjoy!

No comments: