Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sirsasana II go

One of the nice things about a yoga asana practice as compared to learning dance technique is that when you're practicing asana, you never have to worry about performing it for anyone. In dance classes you're always working up towards performing your double pirouette on stage in front of a live audience, or preparing for the next audition to get the job to perform in front of a live audience. But with asana, you never have to worry that someone is going to actually see what you are doing and possibly offer judgement on it. A teacher may see it and offer adjustment but that's not a critique of the aesthetic or on you as a person.
You never have to worry about performing your practice, until the owners of your studio ask you to be part of a trio yoga demonstration in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the studio, that is.... Yikes! I'm on board to be part of the "sorceress trio" yoga demonstration on the night of Sept 11th in honor of Yoga Source's 10th anniversary. So far rehearsal has been wonderful and I'm the backbend girl, so I couldn't be happier.
But then she threw in a long holding Sirsasana I with leg variations, no wall of course, and no mat either! What, no mat? no wall? mini freak out right here. It's not that I can't practice Headstand without the wall, just that it isn't as easy as it used to be. In the first rehearsal I definitely couldn't go there without the mat.
This means I have an assignment for myself, Sirsasana anywhere and everywhere. Whenever the inspiration hits, I'm turning myself upside down and staying there (no matter what stranger gives me a funny look!) The timing couldn't be better because the family and I take off tomorrow for a week on vacation in Maine. I've always wanted to go, but have never been. Now I'll be seeing it from an entirely different vantage point as I flip over and see it from the ground up. Wish me luck and have a great week!

No comments: