Sunday, September 9, 2012

The other part




Ok, that might be one of my favorite scenes in a movie, ever.  It's just so beautiful, isn't it?


In my little hiatus from the mat, I've been kind of whiny I have to say.  None of my normal ways of expressing myself have been available.  My kitchen is destroyed - so no cooking,  I was sickish - so no yoga or dance, and my craft stuff is buried deep in my basement under all the kitchen stuff - so no sewing.  I felt a bit stifled creatively.

And then, I saw my piano.  And my piano books from high school.  It has been perfect!  It's so easy because I don't need anything else, I just sit down at any moment, and my family has been tolerating my missed notes (all 5,000 of them) quite well.

One thing I've loved is that I never played Clair de Lune (the song in the above clip) when I was in high school.  It's a totally new number to me.  But it is so beautiful and relatively easy.  So I've been able to pick it up quickly.  It's super satisfying.

One way to work with a piano piece that I'm learning is to separate the hands.  So the other afternoon I was working with some of the huge chords in the right hand where the melody is and then decided to switch over to the left.

I thought the left would just be basic set up chords but when I separated it out, I found the melody mirrored quite blatantly in the left.  I wouldn't even have to play the right hand and still the beautiful song came through.   I was completely surprised and happy at my discovery.  And it enhances my playing as now I can try to bring out the melody in both left and right hands when I play them together.

It relates to yoga.... um.  I think this is how the One is.  Hidden in plain sight.  There, in everything,  just beneath the surface.  When I take a moment to clear the mental clutter I find the One.  When I take a moment to clear the emotional clutter I find the One.  When I have the time to clear the physical clutter I find the One.  Always there, just beneath the surface of awareness.

Maybe one day I'll live in that state of total awareness of Oneness all the time.  But until then I do like the delight of remembering time and time again.  The happiness of finding not dissonance but beautiful music just under the surface of my reality.

Time to practice again.

No comments: