Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Workshopy Weekend

Hanging out with my mom after Lila Pierce Brown's
Backbending workshop 2/13/11

What a gift I had this weekend to be able to open my heart in two different workshops.... first as a student and next as the teacher.
The first workshop was on Saturday with the Shakti-filled Lila Pierce Brown of Gateway Yoga in Raleigh, NC. She was in my hometown, in a studio that is at most a mile from my parents' house. I could not resist being there with her. She led a two hour backbending practice which was super fun and empowering. It was even more fun to party alongside my mom and to get to partner with her. Yay Mom! After the backbending she offered 3 hours of Hands on Adjusting for Teachers. That one was even better for me because it allowed me to brush up on the skills I learned in YTT but don't use nearly often enough. AND I learned some new adjustments to add to my repertoire. Lila was so welcoming, loving, attentive, and energetic. She is a total light and joy to workshop with. If you are ever in the Raleigh, NC area do check her out, she is well well worth it.
On Sunday, after my morning class I taught a 3 hour backbending workshop myself. I'd be remiss if I didn't give credit to Lila for inspiration for some of the poses and even for some inspiration on the theme, but that's how yoga works right? We pass it from one to another, each putting his or her own spin on it. My friend says that it becomes like a twice baked potato that way. And I agree and am not bothered at all by that idea.
The workshop turned out to be a more intimate group than my first one. Eight folks showed up and they ranged from experienced teachers to folks who never get off the ground in Urdhva Dhanurasana. By the end everyone had made some progress. One who never had done UD before was popping up there like she'd been doing it all her life. Another who also never did UD struggled a bit more, but was making progress, getting her head off the ground and was SO incredibly open, I was humbled to watch her efforts. The privilege of being the yoga teacher is being able to watch the beauty of these unfolding souls as they take new steps forward on the mat. So whether the room was filled or not, I had an incredible experience and I think the students did too. Either way, I know hearts were open and visions expanded. We all floated out of there with big grins, and that's what it's all about in the big picture, right?
After the craziness of the weekend, I came home and ATE! and then yesterday spent the day recouping with a long hip opening/forward folding practice and plenty of Savasana. Whew.

No comments: